Hospice East Rand
Our Services – Home Based Care
Our palliatively trained nursing sisters visit patients in the comfort of their homes. A palliatively trained nursing sister will co-ordinate the care and liaise with other Hospice team members such as our medical doctor, social workers and other professionals who may be treating the patient.
Hospice nursing sisters do not stay with the patient constantly throughout the day but should such care be needed the sister can arrange for the services of a trained care worker at an additional cost.
Care consists of:
- Regular home visits by our Hospice nursing sisters as is appropriate to the patient’s condition between the hours of 08:00 am and 16:00 pm.
- Hospice nursing sisters are available telephonically after hours for medical emergencies.
- Home visits by the Hospice medical doctor as deemed necessary by the Hospice nursing sister and/or the doctor. Although not all patients may receive a visit from the doctor, the treatment plan of all patients is discussed regularly with our doctor.
- Pain and symptom control.
- Nursing management such as wound dressing, prevention of bedsores etc.
- Advice about nutrition and feeding.
- Emotional support for the patient and family by social workers.
Our main focus is to care, comfort and enhance a patient’s quality of life. Care is given in the patient’s home, making Hospice care unique.
Patients needing Hospice care can contact us themselves, via a family member, patient’s doctor, social worker or other appropriate person. The important thing to note is that the patient must want Hospice care and be aware that we have been approached. Patients can be registered by phoning the Intake Officer on 011 422 1531 between the hours of 9am and 3pm Monday to Friday or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Download the Medical Report Form.
Once intake documentation has been completed and a medical report from the patient’s doctor has been received, a nurse from Hospice East Rand will do an assessment visit.
Most medical aids cover care with Hospice and all accounts for care and medication are submitted to them for payment.
Non medical aid patients are charged a set fee at the end of each month but provision of our services is not dependent on the ability to pay.